Monday, June 4, 2012

When I Choose My Colour, It'll Be Razzle Dazzle Rose...

Hello.

So, I totally meant to blog yesterday but I had my nose stuck deep within the pages of my favourite book all day. 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett was actually the very book which inspired me to want to do what I went to school for. I worked my ass off at U.B.C. studying English for three years straight, I forgo-ed summer holidays to be able to finish earlier. Once I was finished that I took the SLAIS program through U.B.C. where I got my Master of Arts degree in children's lit. I graduated last spring and since then, I've been taking a lot of time for myself before settling down to an as of yet undecided career. Since I was a kid 'The Secret Garden' has been the book that I turn to for all my answers. There was a time in my life as a teen that I became very depressed and unhappy, then my mother bought me a first edition of 'The Secret Garden' for my sixteenth birthday, I read it for the first time since childhood and found in it so many new perspectives. It's an incredibly rare book that can effect you like that and an even more rare one that seems almost to change every time you read it. Since that birthday, I have read it twice a year, every year and own about fifteen different copies of it. I'm a little obsessed. My favourite passage from this read around is this:

"One of the strange things about living in the world is that it is only now and then one is quite sure one is going to live for ever and ever. One knows it sometimes when one gets up at the tender, solemn dawn-time and goes out and stands alone and throws one's head far back and looks up and up and watches the pale sky slowly changing and flushing and marvellous unknown things happening until the east almost makes one cry out and one's heart stands still at the strange, unchanging majesty of the rising of the sun - which has been happening every morning for thousands and thousands of years. One knows it then for a moment or so. And one knows it sometimes when one stands by oneself in a wood at sunset the mysterious deep gold stillness slanting through and under the branches seems to be saying slowly again and again something one cannot quite hear, however much one tries. Then sometimes the immense quiet of the dark-blue at night with millions of stars waiting and watching makes one sure; and sometimes a sound of far-off music makes it true; and sometimes a look in someone's eyes." -Frances Hodgson Burnett

I was so taken with this passage that I cried a little bit. It's just so beautiful and visual. Even if it had one very long run-on sentence.
Anyway, that is really all I have to report. Oh! just a couple days til we head for NYC. Before I got however, some of our friends are throwing me a 25th birthday celebration. I'm not sure what we're gonna do but I have no doubt that it'll be fabulous. That'll be on the sixth and Ben and I leave on the seventh. Below is what I wore yesterday as well as what I'm wearing today.
-Bea

June 3rd 2012
Top: Luella
Skirt: Eva Franco
Shoes: Golden Ponies (in Gold Glitter)
Bag: Marc Jacobs
Sunglasses: Kate Spade New York
Earrings: Majorca
Necklace: Alex Monroe
Brooches: Oh Hello Friend
Watch: Vintage (similar)
Rings: Mod Cloth


June 4th 2012



Top: Nadinoo
Shorts: Olive And Orange
Shoes: Repetto
Bag: Mulberry
Sunglasses: Kate Spade New York
Earrings: Majorca
Necklace: Alex Monroe
Watch: Vintage (similar)
Rings: Mod Cloth (Pink + Mint)

No comments:

Post a Comment