Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bitching, Complaining...

A note about gift giving and my favourite boy in the world.

When Ben and I first started dating all those many moons ago, I was always trying to buy him gifts that he'd be interested in such as music equipment but they were never the right things, no matter how much research I did first. There were other fads too, such as buying him records which lasted no time at all considering that he's so picky about them... God forbid the cover should have a scratch on it or the corners be a bit bent.
So eventually, I gave up the chase and started buying things that I liked. At first there was a bit of a struggle. 'I'll never wear that's and 'you're trying to change me's. Soon enough though, when I was super close to just throwing in the towel, I began to notice that he'd started to wear small things I'd bought him. So began the tradition of me not paying attention to what he says about the gifts I give him. So far, it's been working out.
Still, it takes time for him to come around. Sometimes-okay every time- he tries on something I give him, he'll look in the mirror for two whole minutes before turning to me with a look of dispair on his face and saying 'I look like a hipster freak.' to which I will truthfully answer. 'You are a hipster.' Then he'll whine a bit more and say something about how he should be holding a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. To which I will promptly roll my eyes. I bought him a pair of Toms when summer started... you should have seen the look he gave me.
He's picky in other ways too, like he'll never wear anything that even slightly resembles something that I own, claiming that it's 'Ladies' nor will he wear anything that he thinks is designed by the D2 Squared guys because they 'creep him out'. Add all this to the fact that he's 6'2'' and weighs 130lbs and you'll realize how hard it is to shop for him.

I like to complain too incase you didn't notice by my diatribe up there...

While I find all of Ben's clothing complaints a little irritating, it's also kind of fun because it forces me to find more creative ways of convincing him that he actually likes what I buy him. I'm getting pretty good at it too.
Heh, I've made him sound like such a pain in the ass, and while he sometimes is, he's also super sweet and usually ends up apologizing for being impossible.

All of this actually has a point, as today is Ben's twenty-sixth birthday and I've been shopping all week for it. I got him some pretty nice stuff (there's a list below). There is also an outfit post from the past three days... yes this is a long post but work with me. Today is our last full day here in the Hamptons. We leave tomorrow night for home. I can't believe that the summer is over already. I feel like it just started. Usually I'm the last one to leave at the end of summer but this year, I've a job to get ready for and a closet to re-organize. Sigh, I'm tired already just thinking about how much I have to do before school starts... lol. I haven't said that in a couple years. I hope you've all enjoyed your summer!
-Bea

(PS. I promised myself that I'd wait to buy a few new Orla Kiely items until they showed up on their home website but while checking out ModCloth this morning I broke down a bought this, this, this and this... it's an addiction.)

Cat Power
Sun
'Ruin'









Things I bought for Ben
(Click pictures to buy)


  


  


  



August 20th 2012
Skirt: Orla Kiely
Clutch: Kate Spade New York
Sunglasses: Kate Spade New York
Earrings: Majorca
Necklace: Alex Monroe
Watch: Vintage (similar)



August 21st 2012
Top: Birds And Beas
Shorts: Birds And Beas
Shoes: ASOS
Sunglasses: Kate Spade New York
Earrings: Majorca
Necklace: Alex Monroe
Watch: Vintage (similar)
Rings: Mod Cloth



August 22nd 2012
Shoes: Miu Miu
Bag: Cath Kidston
Hair Pins: Marc By Marc Jacobs
Sunglasses: Kate Spade New York
Earrings: Majorca
Necklace: Alex Monroe
Watch: Vintage (similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment